What’s on the menu for 2018? Expected supply chain management trends include:
- increased supply chain visibility software use
- the disruptive impact of the sharing economy of supply chain distribution networks
- the increased need to improve supply chain speed (the so called “Amazon Effect”)
This post is based on the Supply Chain Digital article, Supply Chain – Predictions for 2018 Trends, by Greg Kefer, December 8, 2017.
1. Why is “supply chain visibility” a necessary ingredient to modern supply chain design?
Guidance: This is a thought question for students to discuss. Some possible answers may include the need to coordinate with suppliers and distributors, ability to better operate strategic sourcing efficiently, empower mass customization throughout the system, decrease inventory levels, avoid back orders, etc.
2. How could Uber and similar “sharing economy” outfits disrupt current logistics operations?
Guidance: This is a thought question for students to discuss ideas. It may be helpful to start the discussion by illustrating that small packages could be delivered in local locations cheaper and faster with Uber perhaps than FedEx. Ask students for an example of how warehouse space could be in someone’s unused garage for inexpensive Continue reading